ONE PERSON CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
GET INVOLVED WITH CAMP SAM!
Is a person who is a light to others,
giving witness in a mixed-up age,
doing well and willingly the tasks at hand,
being aware of another’s needs and
doing something about it.
We are delighted you are interested in volunteering your time at Camp Smile-A-Mile and helping bring smiles to children in Alabama with cancer.
The single most important element in the success of our program is our volunteer staff. Since 1985, our unit heads, cabin, activity, and miscellaneous camp volunteers have provided enthusiasm, fun, creativity, energy and generosity to our campers by nurturing lifelong friendships, providing outlets for personal growth and creating wonderful lasting memories.
At Camp SAM, our volunteer counselors learn the meaning of patience and understanding as they experience the role of a mentor. We set extremely high goals for the camp, therefore it is important you understand our expectations and objectives. If this is the type of influence you wish to have on the lives of young cancer patients, you must make these goals yours and commit to the following:
- For new applicants, submit a completed application with three completed references by March 1st
- Complete a Waiver of Release for a background check
- Attend an in-person interview or participate in a phone interview
- Attend a REQUIRED one-day pre-camp volunteer training in April as well as view online counselor videos and pass the quiz that goes along with each one
- Read, understand, and abide by the rules, policies and procedures found in the Camp Manual
- Report to camp the morning of campers arrival in the afternoon
- Attend a full week of summer camp either in June or July; which is held Monday-Saturday
We believe a week of summer camp is the best possible way to fully train and orient a new volunteer to understand the needs of our campers and their families and to understand the mission of Camp Smile-A-Mile.
During orientation, the following will be explained in great detail: job responsibilities, volunteer expectations, medical procedures, emergency procedures, camp schedules, programs, camp traditions, policies and rules.
After a volunteer has completed a week long camp session, they can participate in our weekend camps, one day activities and trips.
- 19 years of age or older
- Applicants must be 21 or older to apply for the weeklong teen camp.
- Desire and ability to work outdoors with children
- Ability to relate to one's peer group
- Ability to be a positive member of a volunteer team
- Ability to accept supervision and guidance
- Enthusiasm, humor, patience, and self-control
- Commitment to attend the entire week of camp
- Provide leadership at the activities and in the cabin
- Work with all camp staff to help meet the needs of the campers
- Show enthusiasm and excitement for camp programs
Please read the camp volunteer position descriptions, volunteer expectations and frequently asked questions to determine whether or not you are eligible to apply as a volunteer.
If you have questions after reviewing the volunteer information, please email our program staff.